Sharon


Monday, July 5th

"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing but burn, burn, burn like fabulous roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars" -Jack Kerouac

This morning I wrote my reflection that Father Kevin assigned Julia and me. The reflection questions were:

-What have you learned about yourself from your weeks in Africa (e.g. new gifts discovered; awareness of personal limitations, needs, defects; new appreciation of your American culture and upbringing, or of the importance of one’s family…)?

-How do you see these weeks of work relating to (or even changing) your career plans or personal ambitions (both during your remaining time at P.C. and afterwards)?

-Has this experience changed or affected your relationship with God, with the Church, your experience of the Liturgy, your prayer or your faith? How, in what ways?

Writing this reflection has made me consider what I am studying at PC. Many people have told me that they don't think my combination of studying Finance and Writing at PC is a good match for me. I've been told that I should go into a field that isn't solely concerned with working in a cubicle and making money. I think though that with the tremendous number of fields within business that a lot of good can be done. I would like to work for a company with good ethical and environmental practices or try to bring those practices to a company that does not have those implementations. This field, moreso now than ever, is in need of sound practices.

Julia and I were adventurous in the kitchen yet again. Anthony taught us how to make mandazi (similar to mini doughnuts). We will be making them on Saturday instead of chappati. The children love mandazi but never have the opportunity to eat this type of treat. We put our creativity to use by making them in all different shapes.

Today I also started to read the book, "Unbowed" by Wangari Maathai. She is the first African woman and environmentalist to win the Nobel Peace Price. She is the founder of the Green Belt Movement and began to change the lives of Kenyans through simply planting trees. So far, she has vividly described Mount Kenya! Today I also read a few excerpts that were highlighted in the book "Small is Beautiful - Economics as if People Mattered" by EE Schumacher.

1 comment:

  1. Patricia, you have already made a significantly positive impact in this world. I can imagine all the good you will do in the field of business in places such as this. I am so enjoying reading about your experiences everyday. It's like I'm a fly on the wall on this amazing journey. You're not going to want to leave these students! I'm so happy for you. Stay safe! I love you. Love, Megan xoxo

    ReplyDelete