Sharon


Tuesday, June 22nd

Today I woke up, showered, and went to 7:15 am mass. I had oatmeal with cinnamon after. I’ve been having cinnamon in my coffee instead of sugar and it is very good! Unfortunately, Julia and I locked ourselves out of our little house because the door locked behind us. We had to go through the collection of 20 spare keys in the house to see which one it was.

Once at school, we finished the assignment board we had started. I helped teach Madame Dorothy’s 10th grade English class. Today’s topic was pronunciation and adverbs. Then, I photographed the 12th grade girls who were taking their Provincial Exam in their Home Science class. Their exam was a culinary one that required them to prepare a meal of cabbage, tomatoes, potatoes, and red meat in one of the small huts. They cooked them on small coal, jiko stoves. It seems like a very practical class, and the girls that were being examined were working very diligently since they were placed under a time limit.

After lunch, I sampled the appetizing meal that the girls made and were extremely proud of. I was so happy to see them feel so accomplished. I took a trip with Sister Mary, Maria, and Julia into the city of Kisumu to run some errands and talk to some of the companies who supply food for the school. I purchased an internet modem and more time on the cell phone that Julia and I are sharing.

Also, we stopped at the chain grocery store called “Tuskys.” Although I consider myself a healthy eater at home, I have definitely eaten healthier than ever on this trip. I have a big sweet tooth and have not had any sweets since I left. Julia and I indulged ourselves a little and each bought a chocolate bar. My piece of Kenyan Cadbury Dark Chocolate hit the spot. After eating lots of ugali and secuma, I have been craving dark chocolate and red meat. Now I think I’ll be satisfied until I come home.

I’ve been motivated to keep reading when I get the chance to give my brain some exercise. Julia and I each brought a few books, and I have received some good recommendations of books to read since I’ve been here. We also started to do our own ab workout before bed every night.

No comments:

Post a Comment